Onion Paneer Do Pyaza
This is restaurant style vegetarian paneer curry. Delicious and super easy.
450g paneer, chopped into bitesize pieces
oil of choice
3 brown onions, roughly chopped
1 bay leaf
1 cinnamon stick
3 green cardamom pods
1 tsp cumin seeds
3 large tomatoes
4 garlic cloves
1 ½ tsp mild chilli powder
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp garam masala
1 tbsp dried fenugreek leaves, crushed
¼ tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp salt
1 red onion, chopped into chunks
1 brown onion, chopped into chunks
For the Marinade
4 tbsp natural yoghurt
½ tsp salt
½ tsp garam masala
½ tsp ground coriander
1 tsp mild chilli powder
– Place all of the ingredients for the marinade in a large bowl and mix well. Throw in the paneer pieces and stir through to ensure they are thoroughly coated. Let it rest for 10-15 minutes.
– Add 2-3 tbsp of oil to a hot pan. Add the paneer and cook for 5-6 minutes until lightly golden. Make sure to flip them over every few seconds.
– Remove the paneer with some tongs to keep the oil in the pan.
– Add 3 onions to a blender and blitz to a pulp.
– In the same pan, add the bay leaf, cinnamon, cardamom pods, and cumin seeds. When the start to sizzle, add the onions. Stir through and cook for 10 minutes.
– Add the tomatoes and garlic to the blender and blitz to a pulp. Add this to the pan. Mix, cover, and cook on low heat for 10 minutes.
– Add the chilli powder, ground coriander, garam masala, and 200ml of water. Mix well and bring to a boil.
– Add the cooked paneer and fenugreek leaves. Stir through, cover, and cook on low-medium heat for 10 minutes.
– Add the turmeric powder, salt, and onion chunks. Stir through, cover and cook for 5 minutes.
Enjoy with some piping hot basmati rice or chapati!