In my opinion, nothing beats a humble vanilla custard for dessert. You can also pare it with your favourite pudding. I’m going to teach you how to make it perfect every time.
400ml whole milk
200ml double cream
4 egg yolks
80g caster sugar
2 tbsp cornflour
1 tsp vanilla extract
– Pour the whole milk and double cream into a pan and bring it to a boil.
– Meanwhile, add the egg yolks, caster sugar, cornflour, and vanilla extract to a large bowl. Whisk for 3-5 minutes until smooth and pale.
– Slowly pour in the hot milk and cream whilst you whisk continuously to prevent the eggs from splitting.
– Pour the mixture back into the pan and place it on the hob.
– Continue to whisk the mixture for 6-8 minutes on low heat until the custard thickens.
– To ensure your custard is super smooth, pass it through a sieve before you serve.
If you want to enjoy it cold, make sure the clingfilm is directly touching the custard to ensure it doesn’t form a thick layer.