Homemade Fish & Chips
The UK staple Friday night dinner – from the comfort of your own kitchen!
4 cod fillets
4 large red potatoes, peeled and sliced into chips
oil of choice
200g self-raising flour
50g rice flour
¼ tsp baking powder
285ml ale of choice
– Wash the sliced potatoes until the water runs clear. Place them in a pan and cover in water. Place them on the hob and bring to a boil. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Drain and place them on tea towel-lined trays. Let them cool completely before placing them in the freezer for 30 minutes.
– Heat 2-3 cups of oil in a wok. Add the chips in batches and cook until lightly golden. Transfer to a kitchen roll-lined plate and set aside.
– Sieve 150g self-raising flour and 50g rice flour into a large bowl. Add ½ tsp salt, ¼ tsp chilli powder, ¼ tsp baking powder, and ½ tsp curry powder. Mix well.
– Add a little bit of ale at a time and whisk continuously to form a smooth, runny batter.
– An another bowl, add 50g self-raising flour and a pinch of curry powder. Mix well.
– Pat each cod fillet with kitchen roll to remove any excess moisture. Season each side with a generous amount of salt.
– Coat each fillet in flour and pat away the excess. Then, dip one into the batter and shake away any excess. Carefully slide it into the hot oil and cook for 4-5 minutes until golden on both sides. Transfer to a kitchen roll-lined plate to remove any excess oil. Repeat the process with the rest of the fillets.
– Fry the chips for a second time until they are dark golden. Transfer to some kitchen roll to remove any excess oil.
– To serve, distribute the chips evenly between 4 plates and season with salt. Add 1 fillet to each plate. Enjoy with your favourite condiments!