I love okra in many different forms and shapes but this dish, passed down to me from my mother, is one of my favourites. Another super simple, healthy and delicious, quick dish.
900g fresh okra, washed and dried on a kitchen towel (do the day before if you have time)
4 medium/small Onions, thinly sliced
1 thumb-sized piece of ginger, grated
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp salt
1 tsp garam masala
2 tsp ground coriander
½ tsp chilli powder
1 tsp chaat pasala
– Chop the tops and tails off the okra and then slice into 1cm pieces.
– Add oil to a hot pan. Add the cumin and ginger to the pan and let them sizzle and then add the onions.
Cook for 3-4 minutes until softened.
– Add the okra and cook on high heat for 6-8 minutes until some of the Okra lightly chars.
– You may notice that the okra has started to go ‘slimey’, don’t worry, we will be cooking through this.
– Add the salt, garam masala, ground coriander, chilli powder, and chaat masala.
– Mix well, lower the heat and cover. Let it cook for a further 10 minutes.
– Once the ‘slime’ has been cooked off, press one of the pieces to see if the okra is done – it should open up.
I love to serve this with some Chapatis and Tarka Dhal.