Aubergine is a one of vegetable that really needs to be cooked properly for its full flavour to be enhanced. I’m going to teach you how to cook Aubergine in 4 delicious ways which will have you falling in love with this humble vegetable.
Grilled Aubergine with Walnuts
This is a great side or snack to be eaten alongside your summer BBQ.
1 aubergine, cut into thick medallions
oil of choice
2 heaped tbsp natural yoghurt
pinch of salt
½ tsp curry powder
small handful walnuts, roughly chopped
– Add 2-3 tbsp oil to a hot pan or griddle. Add the aubergine and cook on high heat until both sides are golden. Transfer to a plate.
– In a small bowl, mix the natural yoghurt with the salt and curry powder. Drizzle this over the aubergine.
– Garnish with the chopped walnuts.
Aubergine, Mozzarella, & Pesto Bake
Perfect on its own or with a side of salad.
1 mozzarella ball, thinly sliced
1 large tomato, thinly sliced
-Preheat the oven to 180°C / 160°C with a fan.
– Slice the aubergine widthways at 1cm intervals. Make sure not to slice all the way so that the aubergine remains attached.
– Spread 1 tsp pesto between each layer.
– Place one slice of mozzarella and tomato between each layer.
– Place the aubergine on a baking tray. Drizzle with olive oil and add a pinch of salt.
– Place it in the oven for 45 minutes.
Aubergine & Tahini Dip
To be enjoyed with homemade pakora, chapati, or a delicious summer salad.
oil of choice
salt black pepper
1 green chilli, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
juice of ½ lemon
1 tbsp tahini
2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
small handful flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
– Prick the aubergine all over. Rub in a little bit of oil. Place on a baking tray and under the grill for 35 minutes.
– Allow it to cool completely. Peel off the skin and finely chop it.
– Transfer the aubergine to a bowl. Add a pinch of salt and pepper, green chilli, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, and tahini. Mix well.
– Transfer to a serving. Drizzle over some olive oil and garnish with the parsley
I’ve saved the best until last!
1 aubergine, thinly sliced
oil of choice
For the Batter
150g gram flour
½ tsp turmeric powder
½ tsp salt
½ tsp chilli powder
– Place the aubergine on a baking tray and sprinkle a bit of salt and chilli powder onto each slice. Let it rest for 10 minutes.
– Place all of the dry ingredients for the batter into a large bowl and mix well. Slowly add some water, a little at a time, whilst you stir and stop when you form a smooth medium-thick batter.
– Heat 2-3 cups of oil in large wok.
– Press the aubergine slices between 2 pieces of kitchen roll to remove any excess moisture. Then, place them in the batter.
– Take one piece at a time and carefully place them in the hot oil. Cook until golden on both sides. Transfer to a kitchen roll lined plate to remove any excess oil.